60 min

The market square in Gorlice

Rynek, Gorlice
Culture
Nature

The market square in Gorlice is a spacious, quadrilateral (about 90 x 95 m), terraced square, with an urban layout preserved from the time of the city's incorporation in the fourteenth century. There are many interesting places there, such as the town hall with a clock tower, which has become a permanent element of the landscape of this town, the monument „Ławeczka Łukasiewcza” – the inventor of the kerosene lamp, and the museum of the Gorlice Land. On the edge of the market square there is also the Church of Blessed Virgin Mary, and its western frontage are historic burgher houses. The corner tenement house of the Artwiński family – Rynek 6, located at Wąska Street, and the neighboring house at number 7, built in the 18th century, also attracts attention.

Add to the plan Show detail
120 min

The Museum of the Karwacjanów and Gładyszów Manor

Wróblewskiego 10 A, Gorlice
Culture

The Museum of the Karwacjanów and Gładyszów Manor is a multi-branch museum based in Gorlice, whose main goal is to collect, store, conserve and make available the collected collections in the field of art, history of ethnography, architecture, as well as promoting the Gorlice Region. The institution consists of four departments: Art Gallery „Dwór Karwacjanów” in Gorlice, Open-air museum of the village of Pogórzańska im. prof. Roman Reinfuss in Szymbark, the Conference and Exhibition Center „Kasztel w Szymbark” and the Maziarska Farm in Łoś together with the Church in Bartno. In the stone cellars of the museum, located at Wróblewskiego Street, there is a stylish cafe, and on the upper floors, there are several cozy hotel rooms, as well as a large exhibition hall of Fr. Bronisław Świeykowski (receivership mayor of Gorlice) and the smaller one prof. Włodzimierz Kunz (former rector of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow, Honorary Citizen of Gorlice). In front of the building, you can admire the monument of the founder of Gorlice – Dersław I Karwacjan.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Minor Basilica of The Nativity of the Blessed Virg

Plac Kościelny 1, Gorlice
Culture

Minor Basilica of The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gorlice was built in the Neo-Renaissance style in 1875-1890, according to the design of Franciszek Pavoni and Maksymilian Nitsch. In the years 1920-1931 it was rebuilt after numerous damages during the First World War. The monumental facade of the church refers in its form to the classical style, and is decorated with stone sculptures of the four Evangelists. The stained glass windows depicting the saints deserve special attention. The interior of the church is decorated with the main altar, designed by Leonard Marconi, dominated by a beautiful painting of Mary Immaculate by Jan Styka. On its sides there are statues of saints, Wojciech and Stanisław. In the left aisle you can see an altar with graces, the famous statue of Jesus in the prison, probably from the 16th or 17th century, while in the right there is an altar with a statue of Jesus with an open heart – a place of Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, an icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help or Marconi's cross. In 2009, by the decision of Benedict XVI, this church became a minor basilica.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Orthodox Church of st. Trinity in Gorlice

św. Maksyma 2, Gorlice
Culture

Orthodox Church of st. Trinity in Gorlice was built in the form of a Greek cross in the Byzantine-Ruthenian style and topped with one main dome and five smaller ones. It was created in memory of the martyr's death of Fr. Maksym Sandowycz (Maksym Gorlicki), shot in 1914 by Austrian soldiers, whose relics were placed here in September 2007. Inside the temple there is an iconostasis from one of the Bieszczady Orthodox churches destroyed in the post-war period. Next to the church there is a metal belfry with three bells. In 1999, the Diocesan Museum was opened in the rectory building, and in 2009 the church was elevated to the rank of a cathedral.

Add to the plan Show detail
45 min

Gorlice Golgotha is a hill overlooking Gorlice

Zamkowa, Gorlice
Culture
Nature

Gorlice Golgotha is a hill overlooking Gorlice and is a place of prayer and services. The beginning of the history of this place of reflection goes back to the 1970s, when a cross was erected on this hill to commemorate the peregrination of the image of Our Lady of Częstochowa. The initiator of the construction of the chapel and paths of the Passion Station, which was built in 1994-2005, was Fr. Andrzej Mucha, the parish priest at the time. The main object of Golgotha is the Chapel of the Holy Sepulcher. Walking along the paths, you can contemplate the figure of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, the grotto of Our Lady of Sorrows. There is also a tower with Pensive Christ and a decorative gate. The figure of the Risen Christ situated on a 12-meter column makes a huge impression – the figure of Jesus towers over the hill. From Gorlice Golgota there is a beautiful view of the city panorama and the surrounding ranges of the Low Beskids.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

Orthodox church Protection of the Mother of God in

Sękowa 13, Sękowa
Culture

Greek Catholic Church of St. The Protection of the Mother of God in Owczary was erected in 1653, as evidenced by the date on the western portal of the nave, and currently serves as a Roman Catholic church. The building has a tower with an apparent chamber topped with a cupola, a western portal with a lintel cut into the so-called donkey's back, and the nave and presbytery are covered with a tent dome. Inside the temple, there is a polychrome from 1938 and a Baroque iconostasis from the 18th century. From the furnishings, two baroque side altars in the nave have survived to this day – on the south side with a large icon of St. Nicholas (from the beginning of the 18th century), and on the northern side with the icon of the Mother of God with the Child (19th century). The church, thanks to its uniqueness, was inscribed on the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List in 2013.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Biecz Land Museum in Biecz

Węgierska 1, Biecz
Culture

.The Biecz Land Museum in Biecz was opened on December 20, 1953 as the Museum in Biecz, in a tenement house from 1519, the so-called Kromerówka, where it included three departments: ethnographic, historical and natural, and then moved its seat to 1 Węgierska Street and in 2003 received its current name. The reorganization of the facility in 1961 meant that the exhibitions are related to the history of the region and the city of Biecz. Currently, the museum complex includes five historic buildings, located within the city's old town: the Barianów Rokicki House, the so-called House with a Tower, Kromerówka, Blacksmith's Tower, Soviet Tower and Little House.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The market square in Biecz

Rynek, Biecz
Culture

The market square in Biecz, located in the center of a town of exceptional historical, cultural and social importance, has a spatial and urban layout dating back to the Middle Ages. It owes its shape – an elongated ellipse – to the shape of the hill on which it is located. The Biecki market, occupying about 1/8 of the city, is the largest market in Poland in relation to the rest of the former city. The most important monuments here include, among others the town hall located in the central part of the market square with the 53 m tall town hall tower, which houses the Biecz Town and Commune Office, a complex of defensive walls built in the fourteenth century, which originally reached 1200 m, or the Church of Corpus Christi. Peter and St. Paul, one of the most valuable monuments of sacred architecture in Poland. Near the market square, in the north-eastern corner, there is a chapel of St. Florian, and around it there are many magnificent burgher houses.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Orthodox Church of st. Paraskevy in Kwiatoń

Kwiatoń
Culture

Orthodox Church of st. Paraskevy in Kwiatoń is an old and at the same time the best preserved Lemko Greek Catholic church, situated on the Wooden Architecture Trail of the voivodeship. Currently, it is used as a branch church of the Roman Catholic parish in Uście Gorlickie. The tiny and at the same time very rich temple has been inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List and is considered the prettiest in the Podkarpacie region. It is a wooden carcass structure with a tower with sloping walls. The interior attracts attention with rich polychrome, incl. imitating marble cornices, columns, as well as a beautifully gilded iconostasis by Michał Bogdański from 1904. The main altar dates back to the 19th century, and in the nave there are two side altars with the icons of the Mother of God with the Child and the Descent of Christ from the Cross. Beautifully blended into the Lemko landscape, the church delights not only residents, but also tourists.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Collegiate Church of Corpus Christi in Biecz

Kromera 16A, Biecz
Culture

The Collegiate Church of Corpus Christi in Biecz is considered to be one of the most valuable monuments of sacred architecture in Poland – its monumental shape delights both the inhabitants of this land and tourists. The Gothic-style church has survived to the present day without major architectural changes. Next to the temple, there is a bell tower from the 15th century, serving as a defensive tower, which connects with the neo-Gothic chapel of St. Barbara and the old presbytery. The oldest part of the collegiate church is the chancel, to which Włodzimierz Tetmajer made the polychrome in 1905. In the central part of the late Renaissance main altar there is an exquisite work by an unknown author  the painting „The Picture from the Cross” most likely comes from the circle of Italian painting and is attributed to Michelangelo's workshop. The raw whiteness of the walls and high vaults of the naves, supported by massive columns, enhance the impression of the vastness of the interior, which is a contrast to the splendor of the chancel.

Add to the plan Show detail