20 min

Tarnów's „Dół zboczyńców”

Tarnów
Culture

Tarnów's „Dół złoczyńców” is an unusual object located under the northern wall of the town hall in Tarnów. It was discovered during renovation works in 1997 and 2010 – it was a cylindrical stone well sunk into the ground up to 3 m, with a diameter of about 2 m. This structure was originally interpreted as a cistern well, but as a result of archaeological research and drilling in the bottom of the explored interior, this thesis excluded. It was found that the more probable and credible interpretation is the classification of this facility as a municipal prison, the so-called „The pit of bad guys”. During the exploration of the interior of the „villains' pit”, many objects were found, mainly fragments of clay vessels, which have been reconstructed and are now on display in the Tarnów town hall.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Rynek w Tarnowie

Tarnów
Culture

The Market Square in Tarnów is located in the center of the Old Town. It was laid out when the city was founded in 1330, in accordance with the principles of medieval town planning. Currently, the buildings on the square are usually two-story tenement houses, presenting various stylish features of architecture. There are, for example, the House of Saint Florian (18th century), Kamienica Rosowska (16th century), Kamienica Nikielsonowska (18th century) and the Tenement House of Ratajewicz (16th century). In the northern frontage, tenement houses No. 20 and 21, occupied by the District Museum in Tarnów, stand out, and in the western frontage there is a passage, built at the beginning of the 20th century, extending up to Kazimierz Wielki Square. Tarnów's Old Town, called the pearl of the Polish Renaissance, is one of the most beautiful examples of the Renaissance architectural layout of Polish cities. The market square remained the representative space of the city. In the town hall and tenement houses on the market square there are, among others, a museum, tourist information center, cultural center, hotel, restaurants and shops. Every day, at 12.00, the sound of the Tarnów bugle-call, composed by Stanisław Rzepecki, is heard from the town hall tower.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Town Hall in Tarnów

Tarnów
Culture

The Town Hall in Tarnów is one of the most characteristic landmarks of the city, being its main symbol. The town hall, dating from the fourteenth century, was first the seat of the city council and the court of the vogt and jurors, and from 1931 it houses the Museum in Tarnów. The original building was most likely wooden and in the Gothic style, and after many reconstructions carried out in the following years, mainly in the 16th century thanks to the Grand Hetman of the Crown Jan Amor Tarnowski, it acquired Renaissance features, becoming an example of mannerist architecture. The body of the building is crowned with a brick, unplastered attic with characteristic blendes, and the attic's ridge is decorated with stone pinnacles and 14 mascarons. Tarnów town hall is located on the Renaissance Trail in Lesser Poland and is one of the most beautiful buildings of this type in the country.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The cathedral basilica in Tarnów

33-100 Tarnów
Culture

The cathedral basilica of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Tarnów is a church from the 14th century, which originally had Gothic features, but as a result of a thorough renovation and reconstruction in the years 1889-1900 it gained a neo-Gothic character. The building has a three-nave structure, with an elongated chancel, closed with a three-sided apse and a 72-meter high tower built on the west side. It is the most impressive and monumental monument in the city, towering over the market square with a beautiful town hall. On the eastern wall of the cathedral there is an image of Jesus Crucified from 1899. In 1981 a 4.5 m high monument to the Polish Pope John Paul II was erected nearby. The temple in Tarnów is famous for its beautiful, Renaissance tombstones of the Tarnowski family, which are considered to be one of the most outstanding Polish works of art. Their creators were: Bartłomiej Berecci, Jan Maria Padovano and Jan Pfister. Interestingly, the tombstone of Barbara Tarnowska née Tęczyńska is considered the most beautiful Renaissance sculpture of a woman in Europe. In 2006, the cathedral in Tarnów became the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorrows.

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

The Monument to the 1st Transport of Prisoners to

Tarnów
Culture

The Monument to the 1st Transport of Prisoners to KL Auschwitz in Tarnów is located on the KL Auschwitz Prisoners Square, between Bóżnic and Dębowa Streets, in front of the mikveh in the former Jewish district and the ghetto established by the Germans during World War II. The object, by Otto Schier, was unveiled in 1975 to commemorate the first mass transport of Polish political prisoners to the Nazi concentration camp KL Auschwitz, and it stands in the place from which the Germans took a group of 753 people from Tarnów and the surrounding area on June 14, 1940 – finally to 728 Poles were loaded at the station. In 2008, the name of the camp „Oświęcim” on the monument was changed to „KL Auschwitz”. In 2015, this structure was restored and modified so that its form and content were consistent with the actual transport process in every detail. The whole complex was composed of fragments of cobblestones on which prisoners were walking, found during the modernization works of the railway line in Tarnów.

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

General Józef Bem's Mausoleum in Tarnów

33-100 Tarnów
Culture

General Józef Bem's Mausoleum in Tarnów is a tomb located in the Strzelecki Park in Tarnów, erected in 1927 in the middle of a park pond, according to a design by Adolf Szyszko-Bohusz (burial in the Catholic cemetery was not possible due to Bem's conversion to Islam). The rectangular sarcophagus stands on six Corinthian columns, surrounded by spheres referring to the general's main weapon, artillery, and the chains connecting them are made of melted cannons. On the walls of the sarcophagus there are inscriptions: in Polish - Józef Bem, in Hungarian – Bem Apó, and Magyar szabadságharc legnagyobb hadvezére 1848-1849 (Father Bem, the greatest leader of Hungary's freedom struggle 1848-1849), in Arabic – Ferik Murad Pasza and dates – 1794 (birth), 1850 (death) and 1929 (return of the body to the country). The exhumation in Aleppo, Syria from the original burial site was carried out in 1929, and the coffin, before reaching Tarnów, was displayed to the public at the National Museum in Budapest and then at Wawel in Krakow.

Add to the plan Show detail
45 min

Church of Our Lady of the Scapular „Na Burku”

33-100 Tarnów
Culture

Church of Our Lady of the Scapular „Na Burku” in Tarnów is a temple erected before 1458, on the Wątok stream. In the 15th century, it was moved from the place where the Tarnów cathedral is located today. It is one of the oldest wooden churches in Małopolska and at the same time one of the most interesting monuments of Tarnów, and is situated near the Tarnów market square. A pillar tower with a mantle, covered with a spherical cupola with a lantern, was added in 1910. Inside, there are flat ceilings with cracks (in the nave), which are covered with polychrome from the 1930s by Tadeusz Terlecki. On the northern wall of the chancel, you can see the remains of the late Renaissance ornamental polychrome from the 16th and 17th centuries. The Rococo main altar dates back to the second half of the 18th century, and in its central field there is the 16th century painting of the Mother of God with the Child, famous for its graces.

Add to the plan Show detail
120 min

The Inanimate Nature Reserve Fossilized City

Ciężkowice
Nature

The Inanimate Nature Reserve „Fossilized City”, located about 700 m south of the center of Ciężkowice, is the largest natural attraction of the Ciężkowice-Rożnów Landscape Park, recognized as a nature monument in 1931. It enjoys the unflagging interest of families with children, school trips, as well as people who like spending time in the bosom of nature. This picturesque, but at the same time mysterious place that attracts tourists all year round, has long functioned in the minds of the local population as an area inhabited by evil forces. While walking around the reserve, you can see fantastically shaped rocks with names that, according to legends, reflect human and animal figures, linking their formation with extraordinary events. Following the blue trail, you can see various rock forms of sandstone, a rich world of insects and birds, as well as (often protected) plants.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Natural History Museum in Ciężkowice

Ciężkowice
Nature

Natural History Museum Krystyna i Włodzimierz Tomków in Ciężkowice, due to the modern, interesting and interactive form of communicating information on the species of animals and plants inhabiting the Carpathian Foothills region, is eagerly visited by both tourist groups and individuals. In the museum you can find dozens of hunting trophies from the collector's achievements of the founders of this facility – Mr. and Mrs. Tomków, half a thousand insects and about 200 species of birds, mainly: parrots, a good-looking turtle snack, or a unique albino magpie, as well as a magnificent bat cave in the form of a model almost 6 m long. An additional attraction of the museum is a glass floor – an interactive meadow with recreated habitats of reptiles, amphibians and multicolored plants in the form of plastic models, typical of Pogórze. On the first floor of the building there is a conference room where you can see interesting specimens of bison, moose or bear.

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

The Old Synagogue in Tarnów

33-100 Tarnów
Culture

The Old Synagogue in Tarnów was erected around 1630 on the site of an older, wooden one from 1582, which burned down. The newly built synagogue was also consumed by fire in 1663, but Jews were allowed to rebuild it in 1670. In 1793, the synagogue was expanded. As the building was damaged again in 1814 by a city fire, in 1815 the necessary repairs were made and in 1848 it was rebuilt and enlarged. During World War II, on November 8, 1939, the Germans burned down the synagogue, and shortly afterwards its walls were blown up and dismantled. To this day, only a brick bimah in the shape of a canopy has survived and was supported on 4 columns. The vault resembles the form of a mannerist dome, with visible remnants of early Baroque stucco decorations. In 1986, the bimah was subjected to conservation works (e.g. it was covered with a roof), and in 1989, a granite slab with a commemorative text was placed under it. From the side of ul. On the side of Żydowska Street, a part of the synagogue's former fence has survived – the iron fence of the blacksmith's artistic work.

Add to the plan Show detail