60 min

The market square in Nowy Targ

Rynek, 34-400 Nowy Targ
Culture

The market square in Nowy Targ is a characteristic place, occupying an area of 1.5 ha, and at the same time representative of the city where fairs have been held for many centuries. Originally it had wooden buildings, but as a result of a great fire in the 18th century, it was replaced with brick tenement houses. In its central point there is a 19th-century, two-story classicistic town hall, crowned with a clock tower, which houses the Podhale Museum. Looking north, you can see the baroque helmet of the historic church of St. Catherine – the patroness of the city. The market square in Nowy Targ is decorated with nineteenth-century tenement houses, located in the northern frontage of the square. The predominant type here is a two-story townhouse with a three-axis elevation. It is worth paying attention to the tenement house at No. 9, originally belonging to the Herz family. The facade of this house is decorated with the order of rusticated pilasters. The tenement house at No. 10 looks similar, and the neighboring building catches the eye with a beautifully wrought balcony.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

The Town Hall in Nowy Targ

Rynek 1, Nowy Targ
Culture

The Town Hall in Nowy Targ dates from the second half of the 19th century and is situated on the town square. It is a two-story building with a tower and a spire. Due to its location in the center of the town, there are both historic tenement houses and the chapel of St. Jan Kanty from the nineteenth century, as well as numerous shops, catering and accommodation facilities. The building is also the seat of the Podhale Museum, open to the public for tourists. In 2020, the town hall of Nowy Targ was entered in the register of immovable monuments in Małopolska.

Add to the plan Show detail
120 min

Aeroklub Podhalański w Nowym Targu

Lotników 1, 34-400 Nowy Targ
Culture

The Podhale Aero Club in Nowy Targ (Aeroklub Nowy Targ) is an association operating at the Nowy Targ airport since 2001, cultivating the Podhale aviation tradition, initiated by the Tatra Aero Club as early as 1957. The history of the airport itself dates back to 1930, when the County Committee of the Anti-Aircraft and Anti-Gas Defense League, with the financial support of the Provincial Committee, decided to build the first tourist airport in Poland. The Nowy Targ Aeroclub has 4 sections: glider, modeling, airplane and balloon, and it is also the organizer of the New Lottery Aviation Picnic. As the first aeroclub in Poland, it obtained a set of AOC certificates in the field of sightseeing flights by plane, glider, hot air balloon, and also has an AWC service certificate.

Add to the plan Show detail
40 min

Podhale Museum in Nowy Targ

Rynek 1, Nowy Targ
Culture

Podhale Museum Czesław Pajerski in Nowy Targ is located in the building of the former Nowy Targ town hall, and its patron is Czesław Pajerski – the organizer and custodian of the institution. The facility was built after World War II, and the proposal for its creation was announced by Czesław Pajerski in 1959 at a meeting of monuments keepers of the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society in Wieliczka. The collection of the exhibits took another 7 years and led to the opening of the first exhibition in November 1966. The first seat of the institution was in the building at 1 Szaflarska Street, and in 1972 the collection was moved to the buildings at 2 Sobieskiego Street and 7 Rynek. From 1994 to the present day, the museum is located in the former town hall at Rynek 1. Currently, the museum collections include exhibitions related to the history of Nowy Targ and the crafts (furriery, weaving, cooperage, woodcarving, shoemaking, hat-making, carpentry, blacksmithing and printing). The facility also has collections of art (painting, sculpture, ceramics) by such artists as Michał Rekucki, Edward Sutor, Jan Reczkowski or Anna Dobrzańska, a rich collection of folk art, and since 2011 an exhibition on John Paul II's connections with Nowy Targ.

Add to the plan Show detail
90 min

The Railway Open-Air Museum in Chabówka

Chabówka
Neutral

The Railway Open-Air Museum in Chabówka was established in 1993 on the site of a former locomotive shed, and is famous for the most numerous and one of the most interesting collections of exhibits related to railways in Poland. The history of the railway station in this place dates back to 1884. On several tracks, there is an exhibition of withdrawn steam engines, electric and diesel locomotives, wagons, plows, cranes and other special rolling stock. For the operation of active steam locomotives leading retro trains, there were left devices enabling them to be supplied with coal and water and to clean the furnace. Trips by retro trains from Chabówka towards Nowy Sącz, Krynica, Gorlice, Tuchów and other towns in Małopolska are organized periodically. Especially popular are steam train rides through the picturesque Poprad valley and occasional trips, for example on the occasion of „Santa Claus” or national holidays.

Add to the plan Show detail
120 min

The castle in Czorsztyn

Zamkowa, Czorsztyn
Culture

The castle in Czorsztyn is one of the most interesting and mysterious tourist attractions in the region. The ruins of a gothic castle from the 14th century are situated on a hill by Lake Czorsztyn within the borders of the Pieniny National Park. The building was erected on the initiative of Casimir the Great as a border guard, whose task was to guard the trade and diplomatic route located in the Dunajec valley. The preserved and partially preserved ruins of the middle and upper castle, as well as the Renaissance Baranowski Tower and Zieleniec, are available to visitors. From the terraces of the upper castle there is a panorama of the Czorsztyn Reservoir, the Spiš Pieniny and the Tatra Mountains, and from the windows of the Baranowski Tower, you can admire the landscape of Podhale, Gorce and a part of the Czorsztyn Pieniny. In the so-called „Kitchen” in the upper castle there is an exhibition about the history of the castle and the Czorsztyn starosty and a small lapidarium, while in the tower you can see the most interesting reproductions of postcards entitled „Along the Dunajec River – from Czorsztyn to Krościenko. Pieniny on the old postcard”.

Add to the plan Show detail
40 min

The manor house in Łopuszna

Gorczańska 2, Łopuszna
Culture

The manor house in Łopuszna is a beautiful, wooden manor house of the Tetmajers in Łopuszna, located at the foot of the Gorce Mountains, located a few hundred meters from the main road No. 969 from Nowy Targ to Szczawnica and at the same time on the Wooden Architecture Trail of Małopolska. A typical larch Polish manor house was built in 1790, but the history of the farm in Łopuszna dates back to the 16th century. It was inhabited in turn by three patriotic noble families: Lisicki, Tetmajer and Lgocki. After the war, the property was nationalized and transformed into a farm. The building fell into disrepair over the years. In 1978, the property was handed over to the Tatra Museum, and the damaged objects were restored and made available to visitors. The interior houses an exhibition devoted to the former noble farm. Next to the building there is a historic farmstead of the Klamerus family, and you can also see the basement of the old house, where the poet Seweryn Goszczyński hid after the November Uprising.

Add to the plan Show detail
120 min

The „Dunajec” Castle in Niedzica

Zamkowa 2, Niedzica
Culture

The „Dunajec” Castle in Niedzica was erected in the first half of the 14th century by Kokosz Berzewicz as a fortress to defend the northern border of Hungary. Over the centuries, the building was modified many times, and its last owner was the Hungarian Salamon family. After World War II, the building was in a state of utter devastation, but after intensive inventory works in 1950 it was handed over to the Association of Art Historians. In the interiors of the upper and middle castle, adapted for museum purposes, while maintaining the historical layout and character of the building, you can visit primarily: a prison with a torture chamber, chambers of the Spiš County and guards, or living quarters. The historical rooms contain objects from the archaeological works carried out in the castle and old photographs. An additional attraction of the castle are the viewing terraces from which you can admire the beauty of the area, as well as the Wozownia and the Granary located outside it.

Add to the plan Show detail
45 min

Church of the Holy Trinity in Łopuszna

Łopuszna, Gorczańska 1
Culture

Church of the Holy Trinity and St. Antoni Abbot in Łopuszna is a wooden, late Gothic parish church of the Roman Catholic rite. Tradition says that it was built in 1240, but its creation should rather be associated with the location of the village in 1363. It was not until the 17th century that a tower was added here, and then the temple was renovated several times. The church is a single-nave church, consisting of a rectangular chancel, a nave and a post-frame tower added later. It has a historic, gothic and baroque interior. Noteworthy here are mainly: the main altar – a Gothic triptych from around 1460, a bell from around 1540, the painting „The Road to Calvary” from around 1740, as well as the ornamental polychrome of the ceilings from 1935 and the remains of the polychrome from 1500, visible on choir window sill.

Add to the plan Show detail
0 min

The Homole Gorge

Jaworki
Culture

The Homole Gorge is one of the most interesting natural attractions of the Pieniny Mountains. It is a steep-walled gorge in the Mały Pieniny Mountains, situated in the area of the Jaworki village, which is part of a nature reserve. The rock part of the ravine is V-shaped, 0.8 km long, and the Kamionka stream flows at the bottom of the valley. The picturesque cascades and high colorful walls made of crinoid limestone are impressive here. You can also observe a very rich flora of lichens, as well as animals such as the eagle owl, falcon, kestrel or spotted lizard. At the bottom of the ravine, a path to Jaworki, surrounded by rocks, runs. Behind the debris made of limestone boulders, the valley widens, showing tourists an extraordinary view of the highest peak of the Pieniny Mountains – Wysoka.

Add to the plan Show detail