60 min

The Museum of Bedtime Cartoons in Rzeszów

35-064 Rzeszów
Culture

The Museum of Bedtime Cartoons in Rzeszów is an extraordinary attraction for both children and adults, and at the same time the only facility of this type in Poland, devoted to the history of animation and bedtime stories. It was established in 2008 and officially opened in 2009, and it consists of exhibits from the collection of Wojciech Jama. In this unique place you can see all kinds of items related to the popular bedtime. Among them there are exhibits from the production of animated films: original film dolls, projects, scripts, animation films, as well as everyday objects decorated with images of fairy-tale heroes: incl. toys, books, posters, tags, food packaging, cosmetics, often with original content. The pride of the collection are original dolls from the films „Teddy Bear Colargol”, „Miś Uszatek”, „Plastic Diary”, „Pacyk's Colorful World”, „Maurycy and Hawranek”.

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

Rzeszów
Culture

The Monument to the Revolutionary Deed or the Monument to the Revolutionary Struggle is a monument located in the very center of Rzeszów, and relating to the fights fought in the Rzeszów region. The originator of the construction of this facility was the First Secretary of the Polish United Workers' Party in Rzeszów  Władysław Kruczek, and the performer of the sculpture Nike and, on the other side, the monument of the face of a peasant, soldier and worker with the banner of the revolution, rector of the Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków  Marian Konieczny (creator of Nike in Warsaw). The first design works started in 1967, and the building was officially unveiled on May 1, 1974. The foundations of the monument consisted of several dozen reinforced concrete piles, about 10 m long. The laurel leaves consist of 37 pairs of reinforced concrete segments, each over 1 m high. Despite the avant-garde shape, which from the beginning aroused numerous controversies in public perception, the monument has survived to this day, supplemented only with the city coat of arms mounted on its top.

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

The monument to Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Rzeszów
Culture

The monument to Marshal Józef Piłsudski in Rzeszów is one of the few monuments in Poland depicting the marshal on horseback (his favorite Kasztanka), and was unveiled on November 11, 2019. The sculpture with the pedestal, by the Krakow artist Władysław Dudek and made entirely of bronze, is 8 meters high, weighs almost 3 tons and is one of the tallest objects of this type in Poland. The monument depicts a marshal sitting on Kasztanka and looking towards his beloved Vilnius, holding a mace in his right hand – a symbol of military power and holding reins, and his left hand resting on a saber. She had a special bond with Piłsudski's Rzeszów, because his favorite commander, the hero of the War of Independence, came from here – Col. Leopold Lis-Kula, and besides, he often visited the Strzelec sub-district in Rzeszów in Podprom.

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

The Tadeusz Nalepa Monument in Rzeszów

35-232 Rzeszów
Culture

The Tadeusz Nalepa Monument in Rzeszów is a symbolic commemoration of the legend of Polish blues. It is a cast made of bronze and shows a musician walking down the street with his hair flowing and with a guitar in his hand, although the initial idea was a bench with a seated artist. Tadeusz Nalepa (1943-2007) is a legendary blues musician, composer, songwriter and guitarist. With the band Breakout he founded, he has recorded 10 albums and worked for 13 years. He spent his youth in Rzeszów, where he graduated from music school in the double bass, violin and clarinet classes. The Nalepa Monument has become a permanent element of the Rzeszów promenade and is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

The Town Hall in Rzeszów

Rzeszów
Culture

The Town Hall in Rzeszów is the most impressive building in the town square, erected before the end of the 16th century by Mikołaj Spytek Ligęza as a private facility. At the end of the 19th century, the building was taken over by the city authorities. The adaptation of the town hall building for the needs of the City Council was undertaken in 1867 and 1884, and in the years 1897-1898 it was thoroughly rebuilt and extended. The second floor was added, a representative staircase was built, two towers above it, the building was extended to the east by a part based on arcades, creating a large conference room on the first floor. As a result of these works, the town hall acquired the features of the then fashionable pseudo-Gothic style. Recent studies of this building revealed fragments of old walls and vaults in the basement, as well as cellars reaching up to Słowackiego Street.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The market square in Rzeszów

Rzeszów
Culture
Neutral

The market square in Rzeszów is a square located in the center of the old town of Rzeszów, in the Śródmieście district, surrounded by many shops and cafes, as well as where numerous cultural events take place. The current buildings date from the 19th century and are the result of a fire that hit the city in 1842. Earlier, there were probably low wooden or partially brick houses with cellars in the market square, which have survived to this day and are a tourist attraction. The dominant structure of the market square is the free-standing town hall in the south-west corner, on the tower of which in the 17th century there was a bell, the strikes of which announced the beginning and end of trade conducted here products such as jewelry, clothes, furniture, etc., until the construction of the New Town market was undertaken. A very popular tourist route has been created in the underground corridors of the market square.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

The Cichociemni Square in Rzeszów

Rzeszów
Culture

The Cichociemni Square in Rzeszów is situated on a small hill in the city center, on the outskirts of the Old Town. In the fourteenth century, there was a mayor's manor in this place, then an artillery and observation tower was erected here on the hillfort, and later burgher houses, which were finally demolished during the German occupation. The square was revitalized by architect Władysław Hennig according to the design of the Institute of National Remembrance in Rzeszów, and in 1991 it was named the Cichociemnych Square. There are stone plaques with the names of prisoners taken to Auschwitz, an obelisk commemorating the Cichociemni, and the monument „Przejście 2001” – unveiled on October 23, 2002, a sculpture by a native of Rzeszów, Józef Szajna, who described his work as follows: „Passage 2001 is a vestibule to the new epoch, it is a symbol of the passing time and the necessity of reconciliation, here in the place where old Rzeszów collides with the new”. This also applies to Szajna himself – a prisoner of the concentration camps in Auschwitz and Buchenwald.

Add to the plan Show detail
0 min

The Lubomirski Castle in Rzeszów

Rzeszów
Culture

The Lubomirski Castle in Rzeszów is one of the main monuments of the city, erected in the years 1902-1906 on the site of the former Lubomirski Castle. Currently, it is the seat of the district court, and until 1981 there was also a prison there. The first defensive structure was built here probably in the 16th century, and then at the end of that century, Mikołaj Spytek Ligęza built his defensive manor in Rzeszów, in 1620 he expanded it in the style of a palazzo in fortezza. From 1637, the castle was owned by the Lubomirski family. The main construction works on it were carried out by Tylman of Gameren and Karol Henryk Wiedemann. In 1820, the complex was taken over by the Austrian authorities and adapted for judicial and prison purposes. Due to the poor condition of the structure at the beginning of the 20th century, the existing building was demolished, and only the gate tower and bastion fortifications have survived to the present day.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

The Nowomiejska Synagogue in Rzeszów

Rzeszów
Culture

The Nowomiejska Synagogue in Rzeszów is one of the oldest buildings of this type in the Podkarpackie Province. The temple located at 17 Sobieskiego Street, also known as the New School or the Big School (due to its larger size compared to the Old Town synagogue), was erected at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. Historical documents indicate that its designer was the Italian architect John the Baptist Belotti. The building, in the Renaissance-Baroque style and built on a rectangular plan with dimensions of 20 by 30 m, initially served as a defensive. Originally inside was the main baroque-vaulted prayer room, supported by four massive pillars between which stood a bimah, which was entered through the vestibule. In the years 1954-1965, the building changed its original shape – it was enlarged by an additional storey. Currently, it is the seat of the Art Exhibitions Bureau, the creative work house of the Association of Polish Artists and Designers and the Association of Polish Artists, Painters and Graphic Artists, as well as a cafe.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

The Old Town Synagogue in Rzeszów

Rzeszów
Culture

The Old Town Synagogue in Rzeszów, considered one of the oldest churches of this type in the Podkarpackie Province, was erected at the beginning of the 16th century. The synagogue – also known as the Old School – is located in the eastern part of the Old Town, at Bożnicza Street, near the Nowomiejska synagogue. The building is in the Renaissance style, and a plaque in the side wall is dedicated to the memory of the victims of the Holocaust. The Jewish cemetery, destroyed by the Germans in 1942, is located nearby. The square is called Plac Victims of the Getta, and a symbolic stone is supposed to be there to remind about the deportation of Jews to death camps. Currently, the synagogue is owned by the Jewish Religious Community in Krakow and is used by the State Archives, and as a result is not inaccessible to visitors.

Add to the plan Show detail