120 min

Tarnica

Ustrzyki Górne
Nature

Tarnica is the highest mountain of the Polish Bieszczady (1346 m above sea level), distinguished by two peaks, separated by a saddle, hence its name (the Romanian word „tarnita” means saddle), belonging to the Crown of Polish Mountains. On a narrow peak, lined with rock scrap heap, surrounded by a fence, there is an iron cross, 8.5 m high. Tarnica is also known as the „Mountain of Three Crosses” – to commemorate the pontificate of John Paul II (Bieszczady lover), three crosses were erected on the top. The first two were carried on their shoulders in secret from the authorities of the time: the first in 1979 – a one-meter cross consisting of two pipes, the second in 1987 – a metal cross (7.5 m), placed in the place of the first, which, however, was destroyed by a storm, and also the third one in 2000 – iron (8.5 m). From the top there are wonderful views of the Polish and Ukrainian part of the Bieszczady Mountains. In good weather, you can see the Tatra Mountains, Ukrainian Gorgany and even Romanian Rodniańskie Mountains. Tourist routes from Ustrzyki Górne and Wołosaty lead to Tarnica.

Add to the plan Show detail
90 min

The dam in Solina

Solina, Solina
Nature

The dam in Solina is a concept for the development of the San valley, which was created in 1955 under the leadership of Eng. Bolesław Kozłowski, although the first works on the creation of this facility were carried out in the 1930s. The construction of the dam was started in 1960 and it was put into operation in 1968. During the filling of the water reservoir, five villages and a large part of Wołkowyja were flooded. It is the highest dam in Poland, 664 m long and 81.8 m high. The reservoir has an area of approximately 22 km² and the largest capacity in Poland, 472 million m³, and its maximum depth is 60 m. Below the dam, there is a 200 MW hydroelectric power plant. The dam is frequently visited by tourists, especially since you can also visit the interior of both the dam and the power plant.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Solina Lagoon

Góra Jawor, Solina
Nature

The Solina Lagoon is the largest artificial water reservoir in Poland, created on the San River near the village of Solina, after the construction of a hydropower dam and flooding in 1964 the villages of Solina, Horodek, Sokole, Chrewt, Teleśnica Sanna and a large part of Wołkowyja. The facility was commissioned in 1968. The resulting reservoir, also known as the Soliński Lake, has an area of about 22 km², the largest capacity in Poland (472 million m³), 166 km of coastline, varied depth (from 25 m to 60 m) and exceptionally large water level fluctuations (from day to day this difference can be as much as 15 m). There is a hydroelectric power plant below the dam. The surroundings of Lake Solina is a paradise for tourists. This is also achieved by numerous holiday and recreation centers and the possibility of sailing or windsurfing. In the waters of this lagoon, there is a variety of fish species, including zander and perch.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

„Port Solina”,

Góra Jawor, Solina
Neutral

„Port Solina”, with its own marina and water equipment rental, was built in 2010 at the Solina dam. It belongs to the company Werlas Spółka z oo, which in 2011 brought a ship from Austria, previously sailing on the waters of Lake Silvretta, and which was called Werlas 1. Currently, the facility has 5 ships: Werlas 4, Werlas 5, Werlas 6 and the pirate ship Demon Bieszczad which take tourist cruises on the Solina Lagoon. During such a trip, you can admire the inaccessible coastlines and landscape values of the Bieszczady Mountains, and at the same time listen to an audiovisual guide explaining the history of the creation of this reservoir. You can rent kayaks, pedal boats and boats in the port. The lagoon is covered by a silence zone (use of internal combustion engines is forbidden). For lovers of land attractions, there is a ropes course, volleyball court, playgrounds for children and numerous dining options.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Jewish cemetery (Kirkut) in Lesko

Lesko
Culture

The Jewish cemetery (Kirkut) in Lesko is one of the oldest Jewish necropolises in Europe and the largest in Poland. The cemetery, the first mention of which dates back to 1611, is a testimony to the centuries-long presence of the Jewish community in the Bieszczady Mountains. It is the resting place of Jewish dignitaries from Lesko and famous rabbis from the Bieszczady Mountains. It is also one of the few Jewish cemeteries where women and men were buried together. On the forested hill, covering about 3 hectares, on the hill, over 2,000 tombstones have survived to this day, some in very good condition, others worn with time. Although most of the matzevot come from the 19th century, the oldest one dates back to 1548. In 1995, an obelisk was erected here commemorating Galician Jews who were murdered in 1942 in the Nazi camp in Bełżec. The Jewish cemetery in Lesko is described as the pearl of Jewish cemeteries in the Bieszczady Mountains.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Museum of the Bieszczady Forest Railway

Majdan 17, Cisna
Culture

The Museum of the Bieszczady Forest Railway was established in the renovated building of the Majdan station, in which exhibits related to the Bieszczady narrow-gauge railway are presented. The interior of the museum consists of several small rooms filled with souvenirs from various periods of the narrow-gauge operation. The exhibition presents instruments and tools for railway service, uniforms and clothing worn over the years, warning boards and beacons, railway tickets and many other interesting items. On the walls there are charts with archival photos and a synthetic description of the history of the Bieszczady Railway. One of the rooms is devoted to animals that can be found in the Bieszczady forests.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

Galeria – Pracownia ,,Stare Kino” in Lutowiska

Lutowiska 7, Lutowiska
Culture

Galeria – Pracownia ,,Stare Kino” in Lutowiska is a place where, first of all, products characteristic for Podkarpacie are made with passion, such as: ceramics, jewelry, wooden products, artistic blacksmithing, painting on glass, sculpture and other handicrafts. The gallery also presents original works of other artists from Podkarpacie. The studio, which is under the care of Marta and Grzegorz Zubel, is vibrant with life, especially when it organizes concerts, cinema screenings, artistic workshops for organized groups as well as courses and training for those interested in handicraft. The studio cooperates with many art galleries in Podkarpacie and educational institutions. He is also a member of the sales and marketing network under the MADE IN KARPATY brand.

Add to the plan Show detail
180 min

The Bieszczady Forest Railway in Majdan

Majdan 17, Cisna
Culture

The Bieszczady Forest Railway in Majdan is the highest-situated narrow-gauge line in Poland, with a track width of 750 mm. It was established at the end of the 19th century as the Nowy Łupków – Cisna railway, and in the following years it was used to transport timber and people. Thanks to the efforts of the Polish Association of Railway Enthusiasts, in 1992 it was placed under conservation protection and recognized as a cultural asset, and since 1997 it has been operating as a tourist attraction. The main base of the cable car is the station in Majdan near Cisna, from where the trains currently run on two routes with a total length of 20 km. The narrow-gauge train journey gives the impression of closer contact with the surrounding nature, and the small width of the track lane gives a better view from the windows of a train traveling without too much haste. At the Majdan station, there is also an open-air museum of historic trains and the Bieszczady Forest Railway Museum.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

The ruins of the synagogue in Lutowiska

Lutowiska
Culture

The ruins of the synagogue in Lutowiska are traces of the Jewish community that lived many years ago in this town in Bieszczady. Until World War II, Lutowiska was the largest concentration of Jews in this part of the Bieszczady Mountains, who built two synagogues here at the beginning of the 19th century. Unfortunately, the war events in the 20th century left a bloody mark on the history of the local inhabitants. In 1939, the town was taken over by the Soviets, and in 1941, the Germans appeared, who on June 22, 1942 murdered about 650 Jews, almost completely destroying all buildings, including synagogues. Only a fragment of the concrete walls of one temple survived, which became a symbol of the tragic history of this place.

Add to the plan Show detail