30 min

The Concert Shell in Krynica-Zdrój

Krynica Zdrój
Culture
lyziarske-strediska
drevene-kostoliky

The Concert Shell in Krynica-Zdrój is a historic, representative stage building for the spa orchestra, situated on the promenade in Krynica, on the western slope of Góra Parkowa, between the New Spa House and the Main Pump Room. At the end of the 19th century, a pavilion for the Spa Orchestra, which performed in the summer season from 1875, was built. The present concert shell was built in the interwar period on the site of the previous wooden pavilion. It was built in the neoclassical style and is an object of great architectural interest. There are two rows of stairs leading to the building, which meet at the back of the building. On the facade of the shell there is a plaque commemorating the internationally renowned Polish singer  Jan Kiepura, as well as a relief of his face. This tenor built the „Patria” villa in Krynica-Zdrój and has performed many times on the promenade in Krynica. Currently, in summer, various concerts are held here, which make the stay of patients and tourists more pleasant.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Felicja Curyłowa farm in Zalipie

Olesno
Culture

The Felicja Curyłowa farm in Zalipie is a unique facility, which is an example of the tradition of painting houses and their interiors with original plant patterns cultivated in this area of Powiśle Dąbrowski. This building is the former home of Felicja Curyłowa, the famous painter and promoter of this original folk art. This ornamentation was probably created at the end of the 18th century and was associated with the disappearance of smoke huts. Women painted stains on the smoke-stained walls with lime to brighten up and beautify the interiors of their houses. Buildings painted by Felicja Curyłowa in her own homestead became an ethnographic attraction massively visited by tourists during her lifetime. After the artist's death, they became the property of „Cepelia”, which in 1978 handed them over to the District Museum in Tarnów (now they are a branch of the Ethnographic Museum). In 1981, the so-called a poor cottage from a different part of the village, and the whole creates an open-air museum of architecture and folk art available to tourists

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

Tarnów's „Dół zboczyńców”

Tarnów
Culture

Tarnów's „Dół złoczyńców” is an unusual object located under the northern wall of the town hall in Tarnów. It was discovered during renovation works in 1997 and 2010 – it was a cylindrical stone well sunk into the ground up to 3 m, with a diameter of about 2 m. This structure was originally interpreted as a cistern well, but as a result of archaeological research and drilling in the bottom of the explored interior, this thesis excluded. It was found that the more probable and credible interpretation is the classification of this facility as a municipal prison, the so-called „The pit of bad guys”. During the exploration of the interior of the „villains' pit”, many objects were found, mainly fragments of clay vessels, which have been reconstructed and are now on display in the Tarnów town hall.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

Rynek w Tarnowie

Tarnów
Culture

The Market Square in Tarnów is located in the center of the Old Town. It was laid out when the city was founded in 1330, in accordance with the principles of medieval town planning. Currently, the buildings on the square are usually two-story tenement houses, presenting various stylish features of architecture. There are, for example, the House of Saint Florian (18th century), Kamienica Rosowska (16th century), Kamienica Nikielsonowska (18th century) and the Tenement House of Ratajewicz (16th century). In the northern frontage, tenement houses No. 20 and 21, occupied by the District Museum in Tarnów, stand out, and in the western frontage there is a passage, built at the beginning of the 20th century, extending up to Kazimierz Wielki Square. Tarnów's Old Town, called the pearl of the Polish Renaissance, is one of the most beautiful examples of the Renaissance architectural layout of Polish cities. The market square remained the representative space of the city. In the town hall and tenement houses on the market square there are, among others, a museum, tourist information center, cultural center, hotel, restaurants and shops. Every day, at 12.00, the sound of the Tarnów bugle-call, composed by Stanisław Rzepecki, is heard from the town hall tower.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The Town Hall in Tarnów

Tarnów
Culture

The Town Hall in Tarnów is one of the most characteristic landmarks of the city, being its main symbol. The town hall, dating from the fourteenth century, was first the seat of the city council and the court of the vogt and jurors, and from 1931 it houses the Museum in Tarnów. The original building was most likely wooden and in the Gothic style, and after many reconstructions carried out in the following years, mainly in the 16th century thanks to the Grand Hetman of the Crown Jan Amor Tarnowski, it acquired Renaissance features, becoming an example of mannerist architecture. The body of the building is crowned with a brick, unplastered attic with characteristic blendes, and the attic's ridge is decorated with stone pinnacles and 14 mascarons. Tarnów town hall is located on the Renaissance Trail in Lesser Poland and is one of the most beautiful buildings of this type in the country.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The market square in Nowy Targ

34-400 Nowy Targ
Culture

The market square in Nowy Targ is a characteristic place, occupying an area of 1.5 ha, and at the same time representative of the city where fairs have been held for many centuries. Originally it had wooden buildings, but as a result of a great fire in the 18th century, it was replaced with brick tenement houses. In its central point there is a 19th-century, two-story classicistic town hall, crowned with a clock tower, which houses the Podhale Museum. Looking north, you can see the baroque helmet of the historic church of St. Catherine – the patroness of the city. The market square in Nowy Targ is decorated with nineteenth-century tenement houses, located in the northern frontage of the square. The predominant type here is a two-story townhouse with a three-axis elevation. It is worth paying attention to the tenement house at No. 9, originally belonging to the Herz family. The facade of this house is decorated with the order of rusticated pilasters. The tenement house at No. 10 looks similar, and the neighboring building catches the eye with a beautifully wrought balcony.

Add to the plan Show detail
30 min

The Town Hall in Nowy Targ

Nowy Targ
Culture

The Town Hall in Nowy Targ dates from the second half of the 19th century and is situated on the town square. It is a two-story building with a tower and a spire. Due to its location in the center of the town, there are both historic tenement houses and the chapel of St. Jan Kanty from the nineteenth century, as well as numerous shops, catering and accommodation facilities. The building is also the seat of the Podhale Museum, open to the public for tourists. In 2020, the town hall of Nowy Targ was entered in the register of immovable monuments in Małopolska.

Add to the plan Show detail
120 min

Aeroklub Podhalański w Nowym Targu

34-400 Nowy Targ
Culture

The Podhale Aero Club in Nowy Targ (Aeroklub Nowy Targ) is an association operating at the Nowy Targ airport since 2001, cultivating the Podhale aviation tradition, initiated by the Tatra Aero Club as early as 1957. The history of the airport itself dates back to 1930, when the County Committee of the Anti-Aircraft and Anti-Gas Defense League, with the financial support of the Provincial Committee, decided to build the first tourist airport in Poland. The Nowy Targ Aeroclub has 4 sections: glider, modeling, airplane and balloon, and it is also the organizer of the New Lottery Aviation Picnic. As the first aeroclub in Poland, it obtained a set of AOC certificates in the field of sightseeing flights by plane, glider, hot air balloon, and also has an AWC service certificate.

Add to the plan Show detail
60 min

The cathedral basilica in Tarnów

33-100 Tarnów
Culture

The cathedral basilica of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Tarnów is a church from the 14th century, which originally had Gothic features, but as a result of a thorough renovation and reconstruction in the years 1889-1900 it gained a neo-Gothic character. The building has a three-nave structure, with an elongated chancel, closed with a three-sided apse and a 72-meter high tower built on the west side. It is the most impressive and monumental monument in the city, towering over the market square with a beautiful town hall. On the eastern wall of the cathedral there is an image of Jesus Crucified from 1899. In 1981 a 4.5 m high monument to the Polish Pope John Paul II was erected nearby. The temple in Tarnów is famous for its beautiful, Renaissance tombstones of the Tarnowski family, which are considered to be one of the most outstanding Polish works of art. Their creators were: Bartłomiej Berecci, Jan Maria Padovano and Jan Pfister. Interestingly, the tombstone of Barbara Tarnowska née Tęczyńska is considered the most beautiful Renaissance sculpture of a woman in Europe. In 2006, the cathedral in Tarnów became the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorrows.

Add to the plan Show detail
20 min

The Monument to the 1st Transport of Prisoners to

Tarnów
Culture

The Monument to the 1st Transport of Prisoners to KL Auschwitz in Tarnów is located on the KL Auschwitz Prisoners Square, between Bóżnic and Dębowa Streets, in front of the mikveh in the former Jewish district and the ghetto established by the Germans during World War II. The object, by Otto Schier, was unveiled in 1975 to commemorate the first mass transport of Polish political prisoners to the Nazi concentration camp KL Auschwitz, and it stands in the place from which the Germans took a group of 753 people from Tarnów and the surrounding area on June 14, 1940 – finally to 728 Poles were loaded at the station. In 2008, the name of the camp „Oświęcim” on the monument was changed to „KL Auschwitz”. In 2015, this structure was restored and modified so that its form and content were consistent with the actual transport process in every detail. The whole complex was composed of fragments of cobblestones on which prisoners were walking, found during the modernization works of the railway line in Tarnów.

Add to the plan Show detail