The cathedral basilica in Tarnów
The cathedral basilica of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Tarnów is a church from the 14th century, which originally had Gothic features, but as a result of a thorough renovation and reconstruction in the years 1889-1900 it gained a neo-Gothic character. The building has a three-nave structure, with an elongated chancel, closed with a three-sided apse and a 72-meter high tower built on the west side. It is the most impressive and monumental monument in the city, towering over the market square with a beautiful town hall. On the eastern wall of the cathedral there is an image of Jesus Crucified from 1899. In 1981 a 4.5 m high monument to the Polish Pope John Paul II was erected nearby. The temple in Tarnów is famous for its beautiful, Renaissance tombstones of the Tarnowski family, which are considered to be one of the most outstanding Polish works of art. Their creators were: Bartłomiej Berecci, Jan Maria Padovano and Jan Pfister. Interestingly, the tombstone of Barbara Tarnowska née Tęczyńska is considered the most beautiful Renaissance sculpture of a woman in Europe. In 2006, the cathedral in Tarnów became the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Sorrows.
- 60 min